Friday, January 28, 2011

Events

Where were you when you heard the news of the Challenger explosion?


Where were you when you heard the news of John F. Kennedy's assassination?


Where were you when you heard the news of the attempted assassination of Ronald Reagan?

Where were you when you heard the OJ Simpson verdict?


Where were you when the events of 9/11 occur?


It is interesting that not only do we remember these events, we can remember where we were when we heard the news. Why is that?


The answer lies in the fact we often associate places with events. Receiving bad news freezes us in time for a moment. Where we hear the news is etched in our minds as well. It's a strange thing.


Challenger explosion...I was in a hotel lobby in Venezuela and the news was streaming in Spanish. The images told the story.


John F. Kennedy assassination....I was released from first grade and my mother picked me up and stopped  to do some shopping at K-Mart. In the television department every TV was telling the story.


Ronald Reagan assassination attempt...I was in front of Wimpy Burgers on Troost in Kansas City.


The OJ Verdict....I was in Pizzeria Uno in Manchester, Connecticut eating lunch with staff.


9/11...I was in staff meeting and my wife called and said that an airplane crashed into a building in NYC.


All of these events seem like they took place yesterday, yet they have taken place over the span of several decades.


My memories are fresh of each of these events. The emotions I felt are fresh as well. I am not pretending to understand why all of these events unfolded as they did. I am wondering though what lessons can be gleaned from them.


Where were you when these things happened and what have you learned?

1 comment:

Don and Shirley said...

Were there in the lobby too. Had just descended from Pico Espeo. Pardon the spelling.Great W&W trip.